Saturday, August 25, 2012

My mom wore blue eyeshadow..

My goal for this blog is for it to be more then just a place for reviews..but a place where I can share my love (and your can share your love) for all things cosmetic. To that end..here is a new post.  Its about to get deep in here..so put your swimmies on (haha..tell me who didnt use those while swimming as a kid?!)

My mom wore blue eyeshadow.

Not all the time mind you- and I say "wore" because my mother passed away when I was 11 (I'm now 27).  I have many, many memories of my mom..but the one thing that stood out (physically) to me (and her friends and family), was her blue eyeshadow.  My mom had jet black hair, and eyes so dark I swore they were black (till i was corrected as a youngin' that black is not an eye color). She didnt wear makeup all the time, and I never, ever noticed her applying it.  She just seemed to come out of the bathroom a different person, with stuff all over her face, and smelling super sweet.  Mom never spoke to me about makeup, and to be truthful, I never asked.  I was much too busy climbing trees , and causing mischief to be curious about all that "extra stuff" in her jewelry box.  She was lucky if my clothes matched (which they didnt ;)

I'm now 27, and a mother myself.  I got into makeup for me.  I didnt do it for my husband, or inlaws...I did it to feel better about myself.  I dont wear makeup every day, but when I do, and when I first got into makeup, I steered clear of blue eyeshadow.  I would grow fustrated at "makeup tips" always suggesting blue for people with brown eyes.  Theres 100's of different shades..why always blue?  I was drawn to grey first, then purple, now taupes and bronzes...and now..I'm embracing blue.  Blue isnt a shade I have to be afraid of..and neither should you!  You dont have to be afraid of looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey show (click here for an image).   Blue eyeshadow can be very wearable..especially with a neutral crease shade and some brown/black eyeliner.

Here's how I rock it:


(Ignore my brows..thats how I rock them)

Products used: 
  • Urban Decay Primer Potion (original trial size)
  • Urban Decay Shadows: Shattered (Lid), Buck (crease), Walk of Shame (highlight under brow)
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Bourbon (lined top lids only)
  • (Full EOTD / FOTD  with these shadows Coming up!)


(Shattered is described as turquoise, but to me turquoise is a shade of blue, and this shade reminds me of the same color mom wore..)

Blue eyeshadow evokes memories for me, and now instead of shying away..I embrace it.  How do you rock blue shadow?  Does anyone have any makeup that remind them of someone? or brings up some wonderful memories? Share them below in the comments section! I'd love to hear from you!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Very heartfelt and informative. You're a beautiful vibrant mother, wife, woman, and person. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated! I love reading other peoples blogs , so blog links are allowed (though they're having a bit of an issue redirecting..wierd..) . But please..no comment spam! If you don't know if you're a blog spammer feel free to check my comment policy. Otherwise Comment away! I love conversation!